PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 15th Nov 2010, 22:45
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcjeant
I hope this is a journo farce ... or ....
Even Toyota is better concerning warning about something wrong in their cars and make a recall for change or fix defectives parts ....
The 'farce' is in questioning someone in the sales organization about a rapidly developing engineering/airworthiness/safety issue. It'd be like asking the salesman in your local Toyota showroom (to use your example further) what Toyota engineering was up to regarding recalls. Chances are he wouldn't know much more than you do.

Of course the people who do know the facts in cases like this generally keep their trap shut, so the journos are forced to go with the first senior sounding blabbermouth they can corner. Some of our PR statements after accidents and incidents have been positively cringeworthy, and a damned sight worse than saying "I don't know" which at least is honest if a bit useless-sounding. If he'd made some kind of "yes they all are retrofitted" statement when some are not people would (rightly) have been all over him...

Originally Posted by barit1
I'm waiting for them to campaign to bring back F/E's.
How many F/E's do you reckon you'd have to strap to the outside of an engine to contain a disk, I wonder...?