PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferranti Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 22:40
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For 'S' ... Yes I sure remember the ducted fan BN2. The Dufon part of the business was run by a Canadian I seem to recall, but the brain cells won't part with the name. My party piece was to hold both hands to my ears as the Islander taxied by! But fitted with those two huge ducts, the two Lycomings 540s were supposed to be especially quiet ... and they weren't!

A small side titbit ... circa 1972/1973, I used to fly the all red Islander (G-AXDH?) for the 'Red Devils' display team. On one flight, a colleague who had flown the type more, showed me that the aircraft would fly faster in the cruise with three degrees of flap down ... accomplished by selecting flap 'down' and pulling the CB after a couple of seconds. Later I discussed this oddity with Des Norman on the I of W. He told me they knew about the problem ... caused by the incorrect rigged angle of the main plane. Assembly line changes weren't possible so all future production aircraft simply had the flaps welded down at the three degree position! Don't believe me ... just check the next time you see one up close.

I remember visiting Mr George Miles in his office there at Number One Hangar, (then Premier hangar) Along with my old mate, Mike Woodley, we were trying to buy the specially prepared and streamlined Miles Gemini twin which we wanted as a Kings Cup contender. No luck tho'

In those days the Miles Dufon hangar was the most westerly on the airfield. At least another half a dozen have sprung up since. 'Twas about that time that Neville Duke was doing some flight testing with the Miles Student along the old grass runway. So many memories (mostly pleasant) that these threads evoke.

Best Christmas wishes 'S' and to all our readers. Dennis Kenyon.