PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo today...
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 16:37
loumate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First solo today...

I went solo today and thought I'd share the experience with the forum...

I'm a 42 year old bloke (i.e. starting to get a bit old and crusty!) and took up flying 6 years ago. After three hours I stopped and as I'm currently 'between jobs', I started again in late September with Sussex Flying Club based out of Shoreham.

When I arrived today, unlike the last few sessions, the weather was fine and the wind was (almost) straight down 02 at 8KTS. I jumped into the C152 (GBTYT) and after three good circuits and a surprise late go-around called by my instructor, I was advised to land. As we were taxiing back, my instructor said that he was happy with the standard of my flying today and he'd be sending me solo!!

I was surprised that I wasn't in anyway nervous as I made the 'Student' radio call, went through the pre-flights and taxied out for departure. As I lifted off I was surprised at how quick I climbed with one person less and shot up like a balloon to circuit height. As I turned from base to final, I was slightly high but an early final flap brought me in nicely (even though I say so myself!) for a soft landing. The feeling of elation (and relief!) as I was congratulated by the tower and then the staff at Sussex flying Club is one that I'll savour for a very very long time.

For 'the record' I went solo after 20 hours (17 this time around and 3 previously) and I believe that the timing was absolutely right as to go solo earlier would have put me in cross-wind situations where I had a chance of making a safe landing but lacked the experience and ability to absolutely nail-it with 100% confidence.

Here's to the remainder of my training and for everyone working towards solo, stick at it, it's a great feeling and a huge personal achievement.

Lou