PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 15:12
trop_rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Ellsworth, I agree with you. It is my opinion as well that pilots are not all that different from people working in other occupations. People, after all, are just people: we all come from different backgrounds, cultures, geographic regions, and we all have different strengths and weaknesses. The descriptor "professional pilot" or "airline pilot" (or whatever) should not bring with it any suggestion that one is 'superior' or different than any other individual. I have personally flown with "all shapes and sizes" in my brief 24 year career, and as you can well imagine, assigning expectations or pre-judging any individual before one spends time getting to know him or her is an exercise in futility and frankly, a waste of energy.

My comment regarding deviating around nasty cells in a fuel-critical situation was borne out of frustration with my perception that although the poster wrote with great style and is clearly an intelligent and well-read individual, that he is apparently not even familiar with the layers of our atmosphere. Put simply, it is very difficult to accept commentary about one's profession from a person who has not sat in the seat, or signed the logbook.

Flying airplanes is nothing special at all. Professionals make it look easy day in and day out, around the world, all year long. However, there is a HELL of a lot that goes on behind the scenes to make the journey as safe, routine, and seamless as possible for those who are paying my salary. I am just fine with them neither knowing about, or caring about these "details". That is what I get paid for, and I accept the responsibility with quiet pride. But when someone who clearly knows very little about what happens in the pointy end spouts off about my profession on a "professional pilots" forum, I sometimes feel the need to speak out.

My apologies for playing a part in the side-tracking of this thread...if you wish to continue on this topic, I would respectfully suggest starting a new one; I am sure there will be many varying opinions on the profession...