PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are 'Icing Conditions'?
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 11:35
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here you go guys, something Mrs tet found in

Watts Up With That?
one of the frequented blogs when we were fighting the warmists, also there is a substance the name of which totally eludes me now but it was around a few years ago for sure which you could spray on your motor car windscreen and it would disspate the rain drops very well allowing much less use of the wipers. If I can remember it I'll post the name.

cheers tet

Fighting ice at the nano level – a promise for improved safety

Posted on November 14, 2010 by Anthony Watts
This is a really neat discovery. As we all know, ice is a big killer and safety hazard, especially on airplanes. This new material prevents supercooled droplets from freezing, sticking, and accumulating.- Anthony

From Harvard: Breaking the ice before it begins
Nanostructured materials repel water droplets before they have a chance to freeze
Sequential images of ice layer removal from hydrophilic Al, fluorinated hydrophobic Si, and microstructured fluorinated Si (SHS). Note the supercooled droplet bounces right off without sticking.

Cambridge, Mass., November 12, 2010 – Engineers from Harvard University have designed and demonstrated ice-free nanostructured materials that literally repel water droplets before they even have the chance to freeze.
The finding, reported online in ACS Nano on November 9th, could lead to a new way to keep airplane wings, buildings, powerlines, and even entire highways free of ice during the worst winter weather. Moreover, integrating anti-ice technology right into a material is more efficient and sustainable than conventional solutions like chemical sprays, salt, and heating.
Continue reading →

Posted in Science, Technology, weather | 49 Comments