PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 15th Nov 2010, 09:54
DFM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was SDSR really about defence strategy for the future?

After reading the many comments to my questioning of the decision to axe the MRA4, I will summarise and respond:
  • It’s gone so get over it: If only life were as simple as the people who made these comments
  • It was based on a Comet and should never have progressed beyond the drawing board: I think Mr Vettel’s car was based on the same principles as a model T Ford and I thought it performed reasonably well on Sunday
  • The idea of a manned aircraft for maritime surveillance is outdated: So every nation that is in the process of procuring replacements for their MPA (albeit in some instances to be supplemented with UAVs) have also misunderstood the requirement for a manned air vehicle; I think not
  • We have UAVs aplenty just waiting to spring into the air to do everything the MRA4 could have done and at half the price: Which is why the experts are saying that this future concept is still just that and many years away from reality. However, I suppose we do have time to replace JSF with a UAV? After all; it’s not been fully paid for yet, it’s some years off service, and we must have time to develop an alternative without incurring a capability gap if the technology is already out there. I bet we could save billions.
  • It was inevitable with a FJ centric AFB: So why did CAS and the AFB fight against this option, why was the preferred choice to retire more GR4 earlier and why have numerous VSO repeatedly said that this decision is short-sighted, wrong and dangerous…...oh and for good measure, that it will need to be reversed at the next SDSR
  • It’s removal will save us £1Bn in 10 years: I think you will find that there are serious concerns about the validity of this statement. I am told that this headline sound bite has already been proven to be very wide of the mark, more to follow when we realise how much we are really going to save
  • We can rely on other Nations to provide support to our carriers and the IND: Hmmmm, glad to see that at least the 1SL had the integrity to question this idea as well as to state just how uncomfortable he was with the decision to axe the MRA4
  • This decision is primarily driven by politics and has nothing to do with defence strategy: Give the gentleman a cigar!
To all who agreed with my sentiments and gave much in the way of supporting evidence, I give my thanks. To those who disagreed, it's good to debate. And to those who battle on against the stupidity of the decision, good luck. It is interesting to see just how many experts have already started to question the outcome. I also wonder how quickly independence will occur after they decide to close Lossiemouth? Because if they are going to use the same criteria as they did for Kinloss its closure seems somewhat inevitable. But on a plus side for the Govt, I guess it will make their re-election easier when the Scottish question is no longer an issue.

DFM over & out.

Last edited by DFM; 18th Nov 2010 at 17:20.