PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Airways 320 pilot exceeds 320 kts below 3000'
Old 14th Nov 2010, 23:49
Flight&Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to be intruding in this nice scuffle between you guys (Turkpilot Vs inciter) , but I couldn't resist the temptation!

I have to say that inciter is right (sorry Turkpilot!! ).

It seems to me that you wrote something wrong without giving it too much of a thought and you are too proud to admit it.

But if you really believe in what you are saying, consider the following:

Since you brought up VECTORs, you must know that vectors make sense ONLY in relation to the reference system in which they are drawn. In the case of two flying objects in the air, the reference system is the air mass in which they fly. Therefore the speed to consider is that relative to the air (call it as you wish TAS CAS EAS IAS, as long as you use the SAME speed system for BOTH objects).
If the air mass is moving, that's IRRELEVANT to the issue. Both objects are affected in the SAME way.

Otherwise you should also consider:
  • the Earth's rotation (west to east slightly over 1000 kts at the equator x cosin of latitude);
  • the Earth's orbit speed around the sun (67000 kts)
  • the Solar system speed around the galaxy (600000 kts)
  • the expansion speed of the galaxy from the big bang forward
  • and, if you are a believer, the speed at which your god carries around his little science experiment to school for show and tell!!!
In other words Turkpilot, your mistake is to shift reference system when you go from IAS to GS without adjusting the rest of the numbers to the new reference.

I hope this helps!

F&F