PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 14th Nov 2010, 21:14
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
I am sure 212man will be along shortly (when he wakes up!), but in the mean time I am fairly sure that the emergency landings in Borneo were not as a result of low oil pressure - rather it was the churning thing as a result of too much oil in the wrong place, causing the oil to drastically overheat.

In other words Zalt, demonising the S92 is of course good (if rather easy) sport but one should try to get the facts right, otherwise the impact is lost!

But as a general point it would be interesting for us non-92 pilots to know how easy it is to detect 5 psi as opposed to zero psi. I presume there is a digital readout of the pressure under the bargraph, but that is only as good as the sensor accuracy. My point being, do you always see 0 psi when shutdown, or is it sometimes 1 or 2 due to sensor zero offset?

HC

ps I think the APU has a fairly limited output, not sure if it supplies the entire aircraft's systems (though you would think it would supply the CVFDR). Alternatively perhaps the g switch activated in response to high vibration and shut it off?