PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Airways 320 pilot exceeds 320 kts below 3000'
Old 14th Nov 2010, 17:55
inciter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turk,

I just can’t help myself, so one more time for the dummies!

The helicopter example has gone right over your head. WTF is “PURE ZERO”?

I said an indicated IAS of 0.

Let’s just use your example so you might understand it better.

“but if you ever flew a 152 (cessna if u know what that word is) right about stall speed into a 40 or 50 kt headwind you would be going backwards.”

Exactly, and if there was another C152 right in front of yours doing exactly the same thing, it would be going backwards at the same rate, so they would never collide.

THAT IS THE BIT YOUR ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH.

Let’s just use your latest example:

“Actually an even better example. Those two same aircraft are at 90 degree angles to one another. So the wind coming out of the north does not affect the ac that is flying on lets say HDG 090. So are you going to tell me now, that groundspeed does not matter? I stand corrected on the example of 2 ac converging head on, as the wind would make one ac have a slower gs, and one a faster so it would equal out. But if they are on opposite tracks, such as what i just described then ofcourse groundspeed will matter as hitting the other ac will be the same as hitting a mountain”

Spot on, but it would be like hitting a mountain if the aircraft were flying a TRACK and not HEADING.

PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING

1. What would be the difference if any in closure rate in your above example, if the two aircraft were flying on Headings and not Track? Tas 500kts, wind 360/100kts , one aircraft heading south and the other east.

If the math gets a bit much, you could always rely on that superior vector knowledge. Get your crayons out, draw the little diagram to scale and just read off the results.

2. Your maximum flap/slat extension is 200kts, minimum clean 190kts and your GS 270kts. At what speed would you extend flap?

You’ve gone from, aircraft speed limitations are academic or BS because GS is the determining factor, to Kinetic energy and now vectors.

I guess you’ll be blaming Coriolis next!

DKZ, come on mate don't spoil it! Let him go if not only for the entertainment factor.