PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cocpit design requirements
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2010, 13:59
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
It's surprising how many Warnings come down to just a Status message if there's nothing he needs to (or can) do when the failure occurs.
I sure agree with that! So many times I've wanted to ask an avionics designer, at the very moment of a tone or other warning/annuciation/light; "Yeah, so what is it you actually want me to do at this moment?". We can be overloaded by information, and a person's total capacity can be quite variable depending upon what's going on at the moment. The avionics designer sits in a quite room, considering all the things he wants the system to tell the pilot at any given moment, and how. He/she may not adequately consider that additional avionics which will be added to the aircraft later, which will have all of their own tones and alerts too, along with the busy environment the pilot is in when he's actually flying. Those few tones and lights going off, coupled with the comm radio, poor weather on the horizon, rough air, the pilot thinking about explaining to the boss that he might have picked off a tree branch with a rotor balde and damaged it, and having to get back in time for his kid's soccor.

Recall the basics: "aviate - navigate - communicate". Those are the priorities. There have been many times I have tuned out "communicate", and even "navigate", to assure that aviate was properly accomplished. I can recall during long line training at a controlled airport, telling the tower I would remain in the area assigned, and turn the radio down, so I could concentrate. He agreed, and I concentrated.

It is imprtant that as much as possible, the pilot be able to cancel tones and alerts, so "aviate" can predominate. And, as said, if there is no action the pilot can take anyway, tell him later!

While considering all of this, also consider what the pilot will have on his/her side, when the annuciation system itself fails. If the pilot is expecting a warning from the system, should a certain parameter be exceeded, but the warning sytem itself has failed, how does the pilot know that he must now monitor that function directly?

I'm glad I'm not an avionics engineer, so I can sit here and be critical, without having to have to figure out the solutions!