PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2002, 13:52
RW-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav procedures would be to maintain the aircraft upright and allow to settle, I wouldn't roll IMO.

Belts release is after all motion has stopped. Certainly after water contact.

As for those familiar with ditching, I already have a point of referance selected for exiting (not to hard in a robbie, but one could have several for a CH-53E).

Anyone else use HEEDS? If I'm going over long patches I take mine with me.

[Edited: Thomas has a point, I've been trained. You would need to know how to use one. While I do not believe in the ditch situation that you will get the bends from ascending too fast with HEEDS, not enough time for nitrogen to build (I'm a diver as well) but if you didn't exhale during ascent, he is correct, you could damage yourself, etc.]

I know similar units are available in most diving shops, not too expensive either. If one were faced with a real situation, the ability to breathe for 5-6 minutes after going in can make a real difference in how you react.

I'd also advise if anyone has the ability to attend a class whch includes a dunker, to do so, darn, I remember my 9D5 rides, fun, but a good learning experience.

[Edited: USN requires a dunker ride every 4 years, don't know if that has changed since I left.]

Last edited by RW-1; 21st Aug 2002 at 19:23.