PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 21st Aug 2002, 12:32
max_cont

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teropa, in answer to your question the simple answer is the Cabin Manager. Let me explain.

1.This would be the company’s instruction for the succession of command. (They own the A/C)

2.The cabin crew are very familiar with the Flt deck layout and have been trained for pilot incapacitation. Agreed the scenario is only one pilot out of the loop. But most of the senior CC understand how to use the radios and they know how to use Hdg Sel. (we discuss this often)

3.The CC will utilise all assets to achieve a safe recovery of A/C and passengers. You would be considered an asset and may be asked to assist the CC in achieving this.

4.The Cabin Manager has a complete understanding of what is required in the cabin and can plan accordingly. You are completely in the dark over such matters (I assume) and all the passengers’ safety is paramount.

5.If you have never been “solo” you have no idea how that realisation will affect your performance. It is a hugely sobering thought when you look across the cockpit and see no one. Ask anyone that’s been there.

6.The preconceived idea’s you have can lead you to make errors that someone else without all of your knowledge would not make.

7.You may try to be too clever with the automatics i.e. use the FMC to navigate instead of using radar vectors to an ILS with Hdg Sel and Flt Chg under radio guidance from a qualified pilot.

Your assumption that any FMC differences would be apparent is IMHO, wrong. For example the later FMC’s allow you to bring a waypoint to the top of the legs page and execute to fly direct. Older models tell you to naff off. You may or may not input data on blank lines whereas on the new FMC’s you get a prompt if you can. Some of the keys on the FMC that you have in your sim are a mystery to me because I’ve never seen that type before. (And I’ve got a fair amount of flying experience with various FMC’s in 737-300 757-200 and 767-2/300) On the FMC’s I use, you have to input the lower FL with “A” and then the higher FL with “B”, not the way the instruction tells you for the one you use. You can input RTE by airway on some FMC’s without a termination point on others you have to specify an aid or waypoint. Some FMC’s recognise NDB’s without the NB after the ident others don’t. The list goes on and on.

Your systems knowledge is impressive and I still think you could do it, but only if you kept it simple.

Just as a final point, if I were flying as a passenger on say an Airbus or another unfamiliar type, I honestly believe I would need to keep it simple and have help to achieve a safe landing in the event that the pilots became incapacitated.

Last edited by max_cont; 21st Aug 2002 at 13:08.