PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mrs Bloggs 'At Home' Etiquette/Protocols
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2010, 20:56
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OTOH, in Cyprus, when we asked for wine (in a restaurant) they had to go to the supermarket to buy it.
The donkey they normally filtered the wine through must have been ill that night!

(I assume that's why virtually everything in Cyprus was an 'acquired taste' that one developed after lengthy exposure). Duc De Nicosie champagne tasted like soda water, most of everything else tasted of resin, whilst the local whisky was suitable as a firelighting fluid. Oddly enough I could never make a decent brandy sour with 'normal' brandy, I eventually used up my duty free allowance on one trip to bring home a bottle of Keo brandy specifically so I could make a brandy sour that tasted just right.

One very wet and cold Christmas out there on a Nimdet that rather stretched beyond a joke (and well beyond our originally forecast return date) I bought a gallon of Keo brandy and started a BBQ party with the aid of a case of Coke from the mess, an oil drum and a few local trees - over several days various fellow celebrants donated more brandy and coke, and (occasionally) 'this tree that I just happened to find over by the zobs' transit block' so the party went on for quite a while.

It went on so long that, one rainy day, as the fire engine went past again (there had been quite a lot of that, our officers were a dreadful bunch who kept igniting things, getting into trouble, and generally letting the side down) and the staish followed it in his mini. He stopped at the roadside about 20 ft away and gave me what I thought was a rather cold look, frankly, considering it was the festive season and all, before driving off to follow the fire crew. Perhaps if I hadn't been so enthusiastically ramming his tree into the fiery oil drum he might have seen it in a more gentle light.

Dave