PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cattle Mustering incl Training, Job Prospects (!) etc etc
Old 13th Nov 2010, 03:19
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the “locally respected father and husband” bit came up on the headlines bit of the ABC news webpage when it was first reported.
The bit about the no license I wonder as I heard that he had a brand new PHL, like three weeks old. I don’t know about a Low Level or Mustering bit or indeed how many hours PIC to achieve same.
From the rescue pilots comments on ABC one can read that it was not the easiest of terrain for any pilot to be working in, let alone one who is utterly in-experienced.
Lots of questions could be asked. Starting from the training schools ability, the ATO’s judgement, the authorising person on the day, the, ----= and the list goes on. I also got to hear that there may have been a major demonstration of manipulative skill shortcoming during this person's training. I.E. major over speed. Thereby rest two more training school questions, one-recognition of Gov switch ON-OFF and two but more importantly -how to handle what should be regarded as a fallible system before solo.
I mean how many times we read in these columns of Bell 206 governors and others, going AWOL, the light could be on or off, but someone must be at home.
But more importantly a question if that is true, what standard does a student sink to before it is recommended to him (nicely) that he is out of his depth? Possibly that depends upon how deep the poor unfortunate students pockets are. If that was the case how swiftly should the regulatory body become involved?
I heard also a rumour that he may have been working for his brother, who owns helicopter?/s? .. Working?? Commercial?? As a Private licensee.
But then that may be confused with another helicopter operator in roughly the same area or a bit north of there who had also a brother, but this one who was fixed wing rated only and reckoned that flying these R44 things was p**s easy. Which he took license, [sic] to do for about twenty yards to a spectacular conclusion. That outfit may also be under a cloud of investigation re AOC or not and illegal airwork/charter, so the whole unlicensed bit may be confused between the two, I don’t know.
The rest of the world must really be wondering about just how this industry regulates itself or indeed if we have any regulations. I know we do as I not long ago amended many book full’s of them. I don't know how many others have those books. ??
Perhaps Gordy’s illuminating and helpful discussion regarding “human factors” is set at another level well above the bar of sections of the oz mustering and training–human- factor.
Yes - perhaps the luckless individual did not in his lack of experience see what could be later viewed as good/bad judgement, but remember this; he has a family who will need to maintain their mantle of their father figure and it would be wise to consider many other factors prior to any direct criticism. The prevailing conditions at the site would be high on the list.
The main thing now is to protect others who may be so easily similarly affected. Very disappointing I must say the whole damn deal.
tet