PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 21st Aug 2002, 09:42
teropa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
max_cont,

Yes, the FMC indeed is a newer gen device, and I wouldn't feel at home with the older ones. However, assuming that the older device has some "self-explanatory" items and me having some quality assistance via radio, I think I'd probably "hack it" .

Hehe, my dismissive attitude was only towards such cabin crew who are not rated in any way... But you know, even I would seriously doubt that a person with no aviation experience/knowledge would pull it off. No way... or at least the chances would be minimal and the radio assistance would have to be top grade and the person receiving the instructions very good in interpreting what he/she heard.

Regarding RTF:

I fly (sic) regularly in Virtual Air Traffic network called VATSIM. See: www.vatsim.net. It basically means that there are real people providing ATC services accross the globe. There are also real ATCOs and real airline pilots participating in the action quite a lot, would you believe. The network goes "by the book" all the time, meaning that we try to replicate everything as close as possible to the real deal. This means that the RTF, procedures, navdata etc. (everything) used is right on the money and sometimes even more "stricter" than the real world comms. I have experience on both. We use real-time radio transmission over the net, which equals the quality of a real R/T. You are definitely right when mentioning the different accents etc. I have flown (sic) many times accross the Europe in VATSIM and some of the controllers are really hard to understand. Interesting point.

I realize the chain of command very well, having been in the military for 12 months . Although, I'd like to ask you something:
If your family was in jeopardy, would you rather have the senior cabin manager take over or an outsider PAX with heavy simming experience in the type ?

Thanks for your messages, I enjoy reading them.

cheers,
Tero

p.s. the web site where the PIC review is doesn't reveal it all about the product. For example, in PIC767 there's a possibility to use either the regular EADI or the Pegasus type. Also, it doesn't have the picture of the panel with the stand-by instruments on. (merge nicely to the center, to the row where the annunciators are). Plus a number of other things.