PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest research on Automation Dependency - Regulator please note..
Old 11th Nov 2010, 23:20
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, i do not agree with the posts above.

In a sim session, I want to be challenged by some hard to solve scenario, not by a handflown ILS.

I will do that on any day, at any airport. Even the busy ones (Europe is my theatre). My personal minimum for an ILS is set to 800' AGL, below that I will leave the FD on. If the ceiling goes below 500', I will let the AP fly it until certain of visual completion.

And if I go to some not so busy field, I will always opt for a visual, if approved and surrounding terrain and obstacles are visible (no fooling around with CAVOK and going into the sun, that would be dangerous). In case visual is not approved or not possible, I will ask for a nonprecision APP. That does not include GPS approaches, as it harldy makes sense to handfly them and they are the most boring piece of flying I know.

I feel that in no way I do endanger my passengers, as a goaround is always an option (and in my company it is not even mentioned, no questions asked, ever, period - for safety!) and I chose the right weather to do those handflown approaches in. And, admit it, when does the weather really call for an autoland/CAT III?

Autoland on a CAT I beam is inherently unsafe, to begin with.

So in a sim session, practicing "no FD" approaches is an utter waste of time. One should always have the ability to fly one.

Nic