PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 11th Nov 2010, 22:11
pct085

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ATSB is THE source.

I want to second NOTanAM's post (#772 - http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...ml#post6053931) recommending the ATSB site. For those interested, updates are provided here and all investigation information and links are at the investigation page.

In my view the ATSB are very professional. While I'd usually be concerned about a national body investigating an incident involving their own nation's airline, in the case of the ATSB I've never had cause for that concern. There are a number of things I like about their process. Firstly they are reasonably open with updates being provided before official reports. Secondly, they are not about apportioning blame. Rather they are looking for all the holes in the "swiss cheese model". They will report on all the factors. Thirdly their reports are comprehensive. There is no lack of detail. So even if someone was concerned about national interests influencing the investigation, the detailed facts allow other commentary.

Their factual report is due by 3 Dec and that ought to be good reading. Keep an eye on the website.