PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 21st Aug 2002, 05:09
teropa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all,

Some interesting replies and comments again!

I'd like to comment some of them though...

ILS27LEFT,

Thanks for the statement of confidence ! Although I'm sure that I would skip the taxi-in anyway hehe .

PAXboy,

If I was a passenger on a plane I didn't know, and there was a pax who knew the plane like the back of his/her hand _in theory, through a flight simulator_. What would I do if I was to encounter such a situation ? What about if I was on the gnd and my family was pax on that plane ?

I would NEVER take an f/a or purser over an avid flight simmer!! Why the hell would I choose a person who has ZIP knowledge on the a/c systems over someone else who's knowledgeable enough to, say, use the automatics, JUST BECAUSE he/she declares to be a flight simulator enthusiast ?? I don't follow your logic here, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Although, I bet that if it were to actually happen, you would choose otherwise... It's amazing how quickly one can change his mind, and I see no other reason to your logic than the mindset of us flight simmers being utterly worthless by nature. The world indeed is an odd place sometimes...

Fokker-Jock,

I agree with everything you said in your message.

I talked about some pilots elevating themselves to a certain level, which was kind of obscure of me, I have to say. What I meant was that there seems to be an attitude, among _some_ pro pilots, that everyone below their level (i.e. CPL, PPL(IR), ultralight, sailing planes, flight simulators) is plain stupid and their opinion doesn't count. To prove this, all you have to do is take a look at the thread where some of these champs are whining to get a private, closed forum. Excellent. Let there be a closed arena for conversations, and soon the talking would either dry out or become truly boring otherwise... But I don't want to see any off-topic posts in this thread about that, so I'll just leave it at that...

You SURELY are not elevating yourself when stating that you have the ability to fly the plane you fly, much better than those unqualified. You're just stating a hard fact, and that's perfectly OK, of course.

I think I have to elaborate a bit more on the "elevation" thing...
It seems as though the people who see themselves above others, are not just seeing that from the professional POV. These people think that their opinions, regarding matters nothing to do with flying itself, are also far better and MUCH better justified. The comment usually seen in the forums is roughly "you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and your obviously not a professional... most likely a beancounter or a "nintendo" pilot". That kind of comments emerge as funny very often, especially after reading that other people verify the "nintendo" pilot to be a retired airline captain .

DB,

100% agreed. Thanks for throwing in an opinion.

LES,

Show me where I have thrown in a pageful of arguments with NO reason !

I have tried to ANSWER the questions and points that others felt needed re-iterating.

Do you expect me to just be quiet (and thus let others prove their case of me being ignorant) when someone tells me that I don't know what something is, when I infact do ?!!

How would you react?

cheers,
Tero

Last edited by teropa; 21st Aug 2002 at 05:14.