PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 11th Nov 2010, 18:36
GemDeveloper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo

... so my bet is that the final fix will be on keeping the oil where it belongs.
Precisely. I know nothing of the details of the internals of the Trent, but I guess that can be done by changing oil scavenge rates, or the air flows to the zones adjacent to the disks, or possibly the seal designs; or some combination of all three. It may take a little time to play all the right tunes, but once it's done, it will be a lasting fix.

Two things that no-one seems to have commented on. Am I right that the HP spool of the Trent revolves in the opposite direction to the IP and LP stages, au Pegasus? Does that mean that there are any intershaft bearings and seals that are really having to whizz around, as they have the combined relative speed? Nice to think that the Trent core could be the basis of a re-engined Harrier... my, would that go...

And no-one has commented on my question on whether the operators all are using the same synthetic turbine oil... or whether QF is on one company's and SQ and LH on another’s. Despite the similarity in base fluids, the differences in final formulation can make a difference in propensity to form deposits and carbon up seals, I seem to recall. And carboned-up seals usually don't seal very well, they leak.

Last edited by GemDeveloper; 11th Nov 2010 at 18:54.