PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silk Air to fly in Oz??
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2002, 03:29
apacau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silk Air to fly in Oz??

I attach a post from airliners.net.

Of interest is the last comment regarding IAM:

This news clip is from the Ansett in WA website & I think is dated 14 Aug 02.

Singapore Airlines has tonight confirmed it is looking at becoming Australia`s third domestic airline. But the

company says its assessment is still in the early stages. Access to domestic terminal space remains the biggest barrier.
Singapore Airlines says it`s keeping its options open on whether it may become Australia`s third domestic carrier.Speculation is rife in the aviation industry that Singapore is best placed to be the new entrant in the market, filling some of the empty Ansett gateways.

Now I have also heard that Silk Air will be flying in Australia from December/January this/next year? They have contracted a new company called 'IAM' ( Integrated Airline Maintenance) in Melbourne to provide engineering staff, as well as ongoing maintenance support for the grounded Ansett aircraft. I have spoken to people who have had interviews with this company & they say that IAM are very tight lipped about what going to happen!

If SQ can organise enough gate space at Mel, Syd & Bne airports then I wouldn't be surprised to see Silk Air A320's flying east coast routes by year end or early next year!