PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - feeder fix time/ required time of arrival (RTA)
Old 11th Nov 2010, 13:20
Skynews

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall about 25 yrs ago, going into Sydney, we were tracking Calga - Sydney for runway 16, in a light turbo prop. At around 15 nm on final we were instructed to turn left heading (about) 080 and maintain max speed.
I remember having a dummy spit ( quietly). I simply didn't get it.

I think I have a better understanding now, I understand the " merging" concept, and that we all just can't keep heading towards the runway unhindered.

I imagine how easy it would be if we all maintained 310 kits to about 20 nm and then decelerated at the same rate to the same Vapp on the same descent profile. Predictable controllable enjoyable, and then I go to Darwin, it reminds me of the iPhone ATC game.Go fast, go slow, not given descent, when it gets busy "cancel Star" and vector here vector there, you name it, they have no idea of our limitations.

Having said that and probably upset our RAAF friends, I think most ATC do a fine job, if I wasn't a pilot I think I could really enjoy the challenge, probably more "back then" but hey, that's life.

Last edited by Skynews; 11th Nov 2010 at 13:35.