PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2010, 11:28
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracker

Sid, I am happy with the principle, Tracker is supposed to be a system to locate missing vehicles, not a recovery agency.

My concern is that it has fallen out of use in day to day ops compared with the number of units in use at the launch of the system. Partly this is because there are fewer marked cars out there anyway and partly because some forces are unwilling to spend the money fitting the kit to replacement cars.

Maybe this could go pirvate with a bounty paid by the insurance company, or it may be worth getting units fitted to Local Authority vehicles that are out on the road 24/7.

1,500 is possibly the number of car units that Tracker UK have supplied to the Police, but I'd like to know how many are moving around the force area every day.

Maybe, just maybe, there are enough to do the job. It could be that the original flood was overkill and all that's required is for Tracker to say where (roughly) the car is and a suitable police car attends there.

I don't see the point in more money going around in circles by having the police admin people billing Tracker so thay can pass that cost on to the motoring public.