PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2010, 11:05
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation

EXGROUNDCREW Possibly this might help, a scan of my Beam approach notes (circa 1943) Previously pasted. Also you can refer to a previous post re 'Darky procedure'

Although I did not become a fighter pilot, the training I received covered all aircrew positions, astro navigation included. The reason being that until wings exam, it was not known for which trade we would be selected. Therefore , we were taught to navigate by 'dead reckoning' using maps, a computer strapped to our leg, (In effect a circular slide rule which added , subtacted, divided , logarithmetically) the use of the Standard beam approach, etc. Air fields were always illuminated for landing even if only by flares and a christmass tree (Glide path indicator). Later the Drem system was used. The nearest airfield could be indicated by search light.
Perhaps one of our fighter pilot contributors could enlarge or correct this, and confirm that we could ask for a QDM This was a bearing to steer to reach the airfield. This was obtained by two seperate stations obtaining bearings which would give them our position.