PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2010, 10:39
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landroger
SSBJ is Supersonic Business Jet Rog', there have been a few designs but the most famous (and had the most potential) was the Sukhoi-Gulfsteam S21. This aircraft would carry about a dozen passenges at Mach 2.2, with a range of 4,500 miles. Gulfstram pulled out of the partnership; there werer serious doubts about the viability of the Russian engine as well as serious aerodynamic issues too.
I would not personally utter 'Concorde and Tornado' in the same breath Rog; you need to carry this 6 tonnes over more than several HUNDRED miles. There is absolutely no comparison between the performance of Concorde and the Tornado I'm afraid, you'd need to base any military adaption on a far better design than that.
Although design of the powerplant for any future SST is pivotal to the whole design, you still need an aerodynamic model with a significantly higher lift/drag ratio than Concorde to make the project viable. And as good as the SR-71 was (I'm one of her biggest fans) she was still using afterburning/reheat at Mach 3 cruise.
galaxy flyer
Think of the Sixties projects--Apollo, Concorde, 747, SR-71, motorways, the Beatles, miniskirts--none possible today, the politics alone would kill 'em
Great to see you back here GF. I DO hope that you are wrong about mini-skirts
You are so right about the massive industrial collaboration required; it seems that there was so much more of a 'daring spirit' in the 1960's, makes you wonder where all the balls have gone today. (Oh I know, there are so much more deserving causes than aviation for us to spend BILLIONS of $'s and £'s on today).
Nick Thomas
No need to apologise for any thread drift Nick; this is such a diverse thread now; your points are perfectly valid here. And thanks for your kind comments again Nick; CJ the rest of the guys and myself are more than happy to bore the socks off of you and all the other posters and readers.
hoofie
So glad that you enjoyed your Concorde experience. The Jeddah flights were a fairly brief 'experiment',it would be great if one of my pilot/flight engineer friends here did a trip, we'll soon know. The double 'shove in the back' would indeed as you say have been the inboard/outboard reheat selection. Glad you are enjoying the thread, it is certainly bringing back memories for me about this seemingly eternal aereplane.
jodeliste
Sorry again folks more misunderstanding when I said terrible waste I meant the cancellation and grounding not the work done
No problem Rod, I think most of us here agree about that one. A terrible waste and a giant leap BACKWARD in aviation.

Dude