PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Food you are allowed to board with
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2010, 10:21
bardos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I'm aware of that and I've read that post; thank you for pointing it out to me again. However with such a critical diet it seems safe to assume if something goes wrong the cabin crew may be dealing with a very sick passenger - I trust bardos has informed the airline accordingly.
Little Toad, there is no medical emergency. It will definitely help if you increase your knowledge about my condition and Type II diabetics in general.

Type II diabetics, unlike folks who have type I diabetes, do produce insulin; however, the insulin secreted by the pancreas is either not enough or the body is unable to recognize the insulin and use it properly.

This results in higher blood glucose levels than normal, which over many years will cause damage to internal organs.

So the job of a Type II is to keep one's blood glucose levels at "normal levels" through a combination of exercise, pills (meds) and diet. Each person is different.

I am controlling my blood glucose levels through diet and exercise alone, based on the theory that all meds will eventually produce unknown secondary effects and generally work by stopping certain bodily processes in order to cure a specific symptom.

In order to control my BG (blood glucose) levels, to have them be at a "normal" level, I have to control my diet pretty severely. Everyone knows to cut out sugar, but for me this also means as little carbohydrates as possible. Carbohydrates turn into sugar once digested.

Airline meals, even "diabetic" ones have been shown to be very high in carbohydrates. So on board meals are out for me.

This is the reason for which I started this thread. I know my dietary needs. I only wish to know if the flying authorities (TSA in the USA) will permit me to keep to my dietary needs or will confiscate my food as terrorist weapons.