PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 10th Nov 2010, 23:01
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edmundronald
That list by TopBunk looks scary. Not a case of "Oh,one engine stopped, no worry, three left".
That's uncontained engine failure for you. I'd say the list looks about what you'd expect for what we've seen. Loss of the fire handle control to #1 and loss of fuel dump and crossfeed control maybe a little more scary.

But... no cabin penetration mentioned and no wing spar or pylon structural damage (although they may not know that yet?). Lack of cabin penetration is just good luck - in similar events, shrapnel has killed pax with the aircraft still on the ground.

What would be interesting to know is whether this incident could have taken out the other hydraulic system too, or whether just one system is routed in each wing?

Edmund
Both systems route through both wings (or they wouldn't be redundant). Simultaneous loss of multiple hydraulic systems due to uncontained engine failure is not unknown... Since they all need to reach the same control surfaces, sooner or later they all tend to route through the same point and hence may all be severed by the same bit of engine, no matter how many you have.

In the A380, don't forget, there are also electro-hydraulic backup systems (hence the drop to only two hydraulic). I suspect it is easier to route the electrical controls and potentially route them redundantly, which may increase survivablity in this case.

Loss of green system is, I think, to be expected since pumps for it are (were!?) on #2 - probably making any shrapnel damage to the circuit a bit irrelevant. TopBunks list reads as though the hydraulics were otherwise intact and that the failure of some flight controls was due to direct damage (although I may be reading too much into it there).