PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 20th Aug 2002, 23:15
dick badcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here are my two cents (pence) worth.

A/P + A/T engaged, CAT II/III approach, near destination (nav aids set), good weather (no wind), a good instructor pilot to give instructions all along, no other failures or problems. YES, it could be done.

Any other circumstances, and I would not be putting money on it ending happily. I fly an aircraft with autoland capabilities (B738) and it is quite easy to do, as long as you know what you are looking at. That is, as I see it, the problem for PCsimmmers. They know what things are supposed to look like, but do not necessarily know when things start to go wrong, or how to correct a deviation. This is something that has to be seen 'in action' and be experienced/felt. No sim can teach you this (not even a level D). All professional pilots will testify that the sim is good, but it isn't the 'real thing'. Mistakes must be made or seen on the line, in order for experience to grow. An example: I made the balls of a visual approach a couple of weeks ago. Sure I had flown loads of visuals in the sim. But in real life things are different. These are things I feel cannot be learned in a sim, but must be experienced first hand. Therefore, a pcsimmer behind the controls is not an ideal prospect for a happy landing in my book.

Let me re-iterate. Ideal conditions, yes no problem, otherwise no.
But as Fokker-Jock says, much rather a PCsimmer gives it a try than anyone else.

DB

FJ, what are you? 0198?