PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mrs Bloggs 'At Home' Etiquette/Protocols
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2010, 16:24
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Eating Humble Pie

Of course it's too late to say 'I really meant engraved' and I am suitably humbled at my error being so publically exposed!

I still have the plate from when I was plain 'Mr' (Plt & Fg Offs) and it sits in a trunk in the attic - perhaps I should get it down and get some cards done!! By time I had passed my 'B' Exam (that really shows my age) things were a sight more relaxed.

I liked the bit about the two cards in the Mess on arrival and two on departure. Calling on Mrs CO and for those married, no other wife would visit until one's wife and you had called on Mrs CO; all good stuff along with 'treating', tipping one's batman, blue & white mess kit waistcoats, ladies only allowed in the bar on certain nights, sports jackets/blazers on Wednesdays and at weekends (suits all other nights).

At my OCTU, one of the instructors ate a dinner 'by numbers' whilst another instructor pointed out to the assembled cadet body the finer points of table manners (push the soup spoon away and draw the cereal spoon towards, no peas on the knife, finish a mouthful before charging the fork). We then went through the; 'introduce the man to the lady, junior to senior, etc'. Never discuss religion, politics or ladies in the mess and so it goes on!

Happy Days.

O-D