PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA: financially, when is it no longer worth it?
Old 10th Nov 2010, 02:26
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dutchjock - I do not think it is condescending to suggest that we are all driven by desires that are not always sensible or rational. At moments such as this it is good to question that. My observations are that nowhere is that more so than in the airline industry where often choices people make defy logic. That aside, I do recognise that this is a difficult decision, but for someone aged 40, going to BA is a significantly less attractive proposition than for someone younger. In both a balanced and very interesting discussion such as this, the age factor is massive in my judgement in tipping the balance. I am interested to see that people regard 5/3/5/4 as 'boring' - I just see it as a gift - is it not a great thing to be able to book a social engagement a year in advance knowing when you will be off?

FANS - I am disappointed to find you lowering the tone with rather puerile comments. If you knew me you would know that I really am very happy in short haul. You are quite right that I would love to be LHS in a B747 - but only to fly 10 circuits on base training! It's horses for courses my friend - not everyone wants to work for BA or to fly long-haul. I personally am extremely happy where I am. You can take that at face value or call me a liar - the choice is yours.

carbheatout - your question is entirely reasonable. Clearly any airline pilot, on whatever roster pattern, is going to face challenges integrating his work pattern into the 'normal' patterns that the rest of his household almost certainly follow. My own experience is that although I have times of stress due to not seeing everyone, I get significantly more time with my family than other friends who leave the house at 0630 and return exhausted off the London train at 8.00pm. It requires a deal of juggling and occasional disturbed sleep patterns but we certainly make it work well. Family life is a high priority for me, and my own experience of the 5/3/5/4 pattern is very postive in that regard.

Craggenmore has pointed out the potential difficulties of regional UK bases at easyJet - I am not as certain as he is about their demise, but he is right to suggest a doubt exists about their future. As a little aside, during a 2-hour delay for my flight this afternoon, I happened to bump into one of our ex-BA skippers in the crewroom at Gatwick. He was there about 35 years and has held a number of key positions including B777 Fleet Manager. Due to just missing the 55 extension at BA he has worked for us for 7 years and is a delightful and informed guy to speak to. I asked him about his perspective on life at easyJet compared with life at BA. He was balanced and sensible, and his comments would be very relevant to this debate. Permafrost ATPL, please feel free to PM me and I would be glad to point you in his direction to give a truly informed view on your dilemma. He highlighted the breadth of job opportunities outside of pure flying that exist at BA - a big plus point. Offsetting that he mentioned the significant difficulties that have arisen between cabin crew and those pilots who trained as 'strike breaker' cabin crew in the recent dispute. There are definitely pros and cons -