PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renamed & Merged: Qantas Severe Engine Damage Over Indonesia
Old 10th Nov 2010, 00:44
noip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peuce,

At the risk of sounding cavalier, which I do not intend to be,

Why was I pooing my pants after all?
Because sadly, too many people pay too much attention to Hollywood's fantasy world of exploding aircraft.

And don't tell me the PIC wasn't sweating bucket loads!
the PIC wasn't sweating bucket loads

He and his crew were just doing their jobs (as demanding as that was at the time). At some point, no doubt the Check Captains were accused of smuggling the Simulator Control panel on board to make the check harder.

If you'll excuse the mini Advertisement for the profession:

Whilst this scenario had the potential to have a significantly different outcome, it didn't. A combination of redundant engineering in today's aircraft, procedures and trained pilots resulted in a safe outcome.

And to illustrate WHY this is a serious incident, something from history:

In 1977 I think it was, a C-141 starlifter was taking off at maximum takeoff weight towards the West (the mountains) from Richmond. As he became airborne, one of his inboard engines exploded, taking out the other engine on the same wing and starting a cargo fire. He remained airborne in ground effect on the Nepean River, then was able to fly a sort of downwind over the flat land to the South of Richmond whilst being given directions by a C-130 overhead and an eventual successful landing. He was so low his radio aids were not receiving.

Well trained and paid technical expertise (ie Pilots and Engineers) are an essential part of the operational formula. Neglect them at your peril.

Thanks for listening.

N