PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 9th Nov 2010, 22:55
sense1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What plans does MOD have to replace its function...?? Well, as sad/shortsighted/insane as it is.... there are no plans to replace the capability mate. Not only the aircraft themselves have been cut, but the base/crews/expertise have been (or are certainly rapidly in the process of being) cut - not gapped, or stalled, or thinking about replacements, but gone. The MOD isn't about to spend £1 on putting maritime radars in Hercs or anything else - think about it dude.... if they wanted an MPA capability they would have kept the one that they had bought and paid for!!!!

Now, I absolutely do not in any way like the decision - it's extremely sad for those at Kinloss, the RAF and UK plc and I desperately hope that we don't have a situation in the world one day where we say 'mmm, could do with some MPA right now'. But, the fact of the matter is that it's gone - one day when (if!) the UK has stacks of cash to spend and defence is lucky enough to get an increase in its budget then the purchase of a fixed wing maritime patrol capability might be on the cards - but that is a long way off - certainly from the perspective of those folks at Kinloss right now. I don't want to sound like a c**t but people need to stop throwing around ideas for continuing the MPA capability when its been cut already - its just drawing out the pain.