PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest PHISHING email
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 16:29
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I hesitate to cross swords with a Cool Mod, the aged are probably more likely to have acquired the knowledge and experience needed to spot a scam a mile off than many of younger years. If they are properly "aged" they have probably been using computers since the 1970s, certainly since the 1980s, and will have been in on the birth of attacks via the wire into a computer and creating defences aganst them.

I find myself (aged) wearingly having to explain, over and over again, to people of tender and less tender years why what they have just done on a computer, like opening up an email attachment or visiting an unknown website in response to an apparently innocent email, is compromising security.

It always seems to come as a surprise to them.

Care to amend the phrase "aged, and without the knowledge" to "inexperienced of any age, and without the knowledge"?

Yours

Methusalah.

PS Ancient compooterist or not, I can't work out why in Jet Blast (perhaps elsewhere but I have not seen it) one now gets two or even 3 threads for the price of one; you open a thread, scroll down to the foot of the page, and there, below that, is another thread page, and perhaps another below that.

Further research shows that this is done by dragging the right hand slider down to the bottom, whereupon a box appears saying "Loading Next Page", and then the new thread appears. This can be done several times. The order of appearance seems to be random, but perhaps I just didn't spot a pattern.

This also works in "Computer issues...."

Last edited by Capot; 9th Nov 2010 at 16:44.