PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Outbreak of common sense at Blackpool !
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 16:16
FullyFlapped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outbreak of common sense at Blackpool !

I dropped into Blackpool at the weekend, and braced myself for the usual dice with inter-galactic spaceport style security and charges - and was pleasantly surprised to find that things have changed somewhat for the better.

The Big Yellow "C" has moved away from the fire station exit (about 100 yards to the right of the main terminal), and the GA parking likewise. The procedure now is simply to let yourself out of a secure gate, and you're out into the big wide world. On returning, you check in to the reception at the newly put together GA handling office (I forget its name), you pay the fee and then walk back in through the same gate (they buzz you in). No wrestling with security types, body scanners etc - as I say, a return to common sense.

The GA lounge has toilets, a comfortable PC-equipped briefing room and a kitchen which you're welcome to use to make tea/coffee. All in all not bad. The fees are still on the high side, but to be honest not much worse then I pay at a lot of places these days, and better than some - and the facilities are, as I say, much better than a lot of places.

The last twice I've been to Blackpool, the main terminal has been like a desert. I do wonder if this is an attempt to at least attract some custom back, in light of their ambition to become Gatwick-by't-sea having fallen on its a*se ? (I understand PAX numbers are 50% of what they were 5 years ago)

Anyway, nice to report something positive for a change !