PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you looking for an airline job
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 16:02
VJW

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi guys

I'm a little surprised at the attitude of the initial poster, but I'll put this down to frustration as to not being able to find the first job soon (ish) after training. Perhaps this would have been better on the wanabee section.

My tuppence worth, having worked in PLD for 4 years prior to joining my current airline, the amount of CPL's issued last year, minus the amount of jobs going for the year would give you the best guess as to the answer you're after. Of course, you have to minus a % that don't use their licences for the airlines, and instead go on to instructing etc. Again take off a % for the jobs available filled by some of the many experienced pilots made redundant during the recession and you'll come up with a ball park figure.

I'd hazard a guess at least around 500 fresh cadets a year, coming out of flight school and unable to find a job.

Could also be worth calling your training provide, and I'd bet my yearly salary it was oxford, just how many cadets they have coming back per year to renew the IR. That'd give you a nice % when you compare it to how many cadets actually went through their course the year before.

All the best in finding that first job, and try and wind your neck in a bit, as the majority of people on here, post to help -

VJW