PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 15:37
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm given that PIK was built underground to prevent people being blown away by the VC10, it's really a design of it's age. Without a massive rebuild it's going remain much as it was. Also given who Customer #1 is and with the cross subsidy from cargo surely a fraction of it once was, I doubt we'll see much change. No more Singapore, Lufthansa or Polar alas.

Given that my earliest memories are watching a Worldways Tristar, a Northwest DC10 and a Wardair B747 all boarding simultaneously for a noon-ish departure, you have to wonder why the place didn't burst years ago. 99% of the time empty, 1% of the time too busy.

Have to agree with Ivor on most of his comments though, it's hardly a 21st century airport and the mad "departure gate" queue, if you can call it that, is a joke.
I agree BUT in what way does this differ from Ryanair's ideal? I know Sat 3 at Stansted is nice but MOL HATEs having to pay to use what he describes as a "gold plated taj mahal." Better facilities at EDI are cross subsidised by other operators and the easyJet gate on the old international pier at GLA is well past it's sell by date and again has no air bridges. It is much the same as the operation at PIK and the wind does blow when the doors open. This reminds me why I left. Way too windy in the winter. And summer.

There's actually heartfelt graffitti in the gents at GLA reading "TESCO METRO. WHS RIP".