PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EOSID -v- EFP any comments on differences?
Old 9th Nov 2010, 15:13
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About VLC rwy 30 EAG's EFP for 320:

We have to maintain V2 and take off flaps till after the first turn towards the sea, according to the procedure.
This turn is to be carried out at 5 DME from the VOR. In the sim, I reach acceleration altitude (1,500) before the 5 miles.

What do I do, then?

An what if I reached 2,000 before 5 DME? Direct to SGO?

That day it was a "free" sim (We had the chance to use it for free for a couple of hours) so we got inside without any briefing with a training captain who is a friend of us. So I was in LEVC rwy 30, engines already running, we set things up "Come on, Are you ready?" Yes, yes. During rotation, one engine flames out. I control the airplane (easy in a 320), keep V2 plus some knots, center the beta target, gear up, TOGA, follow SRS, plenty of rudder trim till my leg is relaxed, ask for runway heading (I don't ask for AP, for practice purposes), then I am climbing nicely, "I have controls & comms", I call "pan pan... runway heading climbing to x thousand", "ECAM actions", I feel good so far, I watch the DME, and see that I will clearly reach accel alt 1,500 ft before 5 DME. I reach 1,500: Fu*k, What do I do now? Levelling off without accelerating is quite moronic, so I keep climbing on runway heading, but then... Should I Keep TOGA or what?
DME is 5 and I start turning right from HDG 300º but I reach 2,000 well before HDG is 090º. Shall I turn now to SGO or wait till 090º? and When the hell do I level off to accelerate?

This procedure sucks. Having an specific accel alt is most confusing when performance is so good (climbing like a rocket) and there is a fix over which you have to start the turn maintaining V2.

Any thoughts?