PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 11:12
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,

It seems there was some confusion yesterday and in fact the security agencies got things mixed up. All 7 hostages are in fact Afren employees taken from the HI VII. MEND claims to be holding them all in addition to having taken custody of 1 Thai and 3 Frenchmen kidnapped from French marine service company, Bourbon.

(CNN) -- Hostages from America, France, Candada and Indonesia comprise the group of seven people kidnapped by armed attackers who raided an oil rig off the Nigerian coast, a spokesman for the rig's owner said Tuesday.
London-based Afren PLC said two Indonesians, two Americans, two French and one Canadian were kidnapped. The Indonesians were not included in an earlier tally released by the company.
Two crew members are in stable condition at a shore-based clinic, where they were airlifted after being wounded in the leg.
The rig, located off the southern coast of Nigeria at Okoro field, is run by Transocean.
State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the U.S. is in contact with Nigerian officials.
"We [are], of course, concerned about their safety and hope for their immediate release," he said. "We are working with Nigerian authorities ... to pursue their prompt release, and there's an investigation already under way."
Drilling operations in the Okoro field off Nigeria have been temporarily suspended, both companies involved said.
In a news release, Afren said a "security breach" occurred soon after its "High Island VII jackup rig" arrived, but before drilling had commenced.
"The situation has not been resolved. Afren is doing everything it can to resolve the situation as quickly as possible, and it is working with relevant agencies in the Nigerian government," Afren spokesman James Henderson told CNN.
From American WTOK News:

WTOK's statewide network partner, WLOX-TV, reported that a Mississippi oil worker was kidnapped off an oil rig on the Nigerian coast.

Network partner, WLBT-TV, traveled to silver Cree, Miss., in Lawrence County, the home of oil worker James Robertson.

With a population of less than 250 people, news of the kidnapping spread fast.

"I think somebody ought to take care of them, honestly," said resident Larry Smith.

"I never would have thought there would be pirates in 2010," said family friend, Kacey Slocum.

Robertson was on board an oil platform when it was stormed by armed men, who took him and four others captive.

Two other oil workers who were shot were airlifted to a nearby clinic.
Those who know Robertson say they're stunned.

"I know his daughters. They're my age, real nice," said Slocum. "I think he's got seven grandkids. Just a real nice guy. Every time you see him, he speaks to you and says hello, and we just hope he comes home safe and just pray for him."

"I think he's a great person and he's over there doing his job and should be respected than what they're doing to him," Smith said.

Robertson works for the London-based company, Afren PLC. His oil rig is managed by Transocean, the same company that operated the rig tied to the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, and the company says it's seeking a quick resolution.

"they need to just let him go," Slocum said. "My husband, he works offshore in Brazil and every time he leaves, we're scared to death. I hope they bring him home safe."

At the Robertson's home, family members told this reporter they were told not to talk to the media, by Transocean, and the FBI.

According to the International Maritime Bureau, there were more than 153 vessels that were boarded worldwide in 2009. Forty-nine of those vessels were hijacked and 120 vessels were fired upon. A total of 1052 crew were taken hostage, with 68 injured and 8 killed. The level of violence and injuries has increased throughout the years.