PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Banking in Dubai
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 09:55
777boyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C2LL,

I've used HSBC in Dubai for over 15 years and they are, on a scale of 1-10 comparing local banks, probably a 5. If you don't have a Premier account with them, you'll find it very hard, if not impossible,to contact a live person at your branch by phone - you'll route via a Bangalore call centre which is, frankly, hopeless. However, on the plus side they have a reliable Internet Banking service, but he real advantage of using them in Dubai if you're employed by EK is that your salary will hit your account a couple of days earlier than it hits other banks' accounts, simply because EK uses HSBC as the distributor of salaries. They also have a more extensive network of ATMs than most other banks, certainly more extensive than Lloyds.

I have several friends who use Lloyds TSB who would probably tell you that the service is generally OK, but all have had major snafu's with them at some stage. If you want to PM me, I can put you in touch with one of them who will give you a realistic and honest picture.

The reality here is that service from all the banks is terrible compared with what you will be used to in UK, where I assume you're from. On a scale of 1-10 comparing UK banks in the UK with the banks here, HSBC in DXB is probably a 2, but is also, along with Lloyds and StanChart, probably the best option.

Best of luck!