PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Licence Exemptions beyond April 2012
Old 9th Nov 2010, 09:27
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I expect thats true, especially in these tight times....however, what price can you put on reliability, experience and perhaps an ability to bring a bit more to the party than just an ability to fly?
And where do you get the notion from that civilian pilots don't have those qualities and more? Amongst my acquaintances who are "just" civvy pilots are a former international rugby player, a former surgeon, and a former diplomat, as well as several who have held positions of responsibility in business. Others have come from very humble backgrounds and have made enormous personal sacrifices in order to obtain their qualifications, and then have worked their way up through GA flying many different aircraft types.

In my particular area of flying (bizjets) the CVs that usually get retained by the chief pilot are those who have extensive GA experience around Europe in something like a King Air - they are already familiar with every approach to every airfield, they know the names of most VORs and reporting points so are red-hot on the r/t, speak to a good level several languages and can deal with the idiosyncracies of controllers in many different countries, can plan their own routing and flightplans, know which are the best handling agents and can arrange handling themselves at every airfield, know which airfields have the cheapest fuel, know where to get the best met briefings from in several different languages, and know JAR/OPS inside out. Not many ex-military pilots have that sort of breadth of relevant experience, and the claim that ex-mil pilots have some sort of advantage because they are "reliable", or have superior hand-eye coordination is not likely to convince most chief pilots.