PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest research on Automation Dependency - Regulator please note..
Old 9th Nov 2010, 00:07
p51guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few posts back a poster used the term mode confusion. Is this an acceptable term for not being able to control your aircraft as you desire? Why not get unconfused and disconnect the autopilot until you can get it going where you want again. Is it acceptable now days that confused means you have to press buttons to get unconfused? I hope not. I know I am of the old school but what happens if the crosswind exceeds the autoland limits on an unprotected ILS approach and the computer pilot has to figure out how to land it manually if he hasn't in months? I've had localizers deviate full scale on an unprotected approach into MIA at 100 ft and if it had been coupled the 250 hr guy with the push button talent would have been in serious trouble. Stick and rudder is laughed at a lot on this thread with automation taking over but it will bail you out of a lot of situations in real life situations.