PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2010, 17:54
Desertbannanas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By they way... I don't believe anyone is saying Air Canada is a fantastically run business Oblasspop. It is not. But then there are limits to what it can do in comparison to EK/EY.It cannot be competitive to EK/EY so it needs some degree of protection. But that is my point, these are teh protections that any country sets out when these trade imbalances exist. Otherwise, EK will take over too much of AC's revenue. AC has its problems that is for sure... however they are problems from some peoples perspective...and are a savior to other people. These things that cause the imbalance between the countries and by default companies, are the reasons that make Canada the great country it is... therby make it a great place to retire. But Air Canada is trying to do its best within the framework that is required by the gov't. You say you want to retire to Canada Oblasspop? Why? Because if Canada allowed the free access you advocate, that great country you want to spend your golden year in would not exist.

Look at the US. There are lots of unilateral flight agreements with many different countries. Same as Canada. Canada is not embracing "protectionist" measures...but rather controllling and oversight measures to ensure its own success in the industry as well. Its that simple.

One example of a trade imbalance is cheap labor forces. In China its obvious...but its there in EK too. Where do you think all those armies of indian office workers come from? Do you think they get a decent but modest salary like AC office people and a pension? Same with Lufthansa, Air France... ect. Its because all these countries have limits of what companies can get away with. Set out by... you got it.... the government. You and I are lucky that we are in a specialized industry where we demand a high(er) salary still in the UAE and elsewhere.

I am sorry to hear you sell out your own home country. You seem quite petty from my perspective.The UK is a great country with great industry and great civil liberties and rights. I would support it and companies like BA before the likes of EK.

Also, I am proud of Canada's history with GreatBritian. Some don't like the Queen on our currency, but I like it. Its a reminder from whence we came, and its fun to have the royals visit. The monarchy is useless in the political circle...everyone knows that, so its just a nice thing to have to bring the countries together as a common history. They are just fun to have around from a cultural perspective.