PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 8th Nov 2010, 16:30
ILS27LEFT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T900 - A380 - Oil leaks

LH and SQ inspections have found nothing wrong with their T900 engines.
QF instead found oil leaks in at least 3 engines (RR T900).
All 3 carriers have same engines on their A380, slightly different max thrust for QF as per article above.

The QF32 accident can therefore be only one of the following: either QF maintenance related or thrust/chip related (different micro chip on QF for higher thrust) which translates in a RR design-fault for this setting.

An uncontained engine failure, whatever the outcome, it is always a catastrophic incident for aviation, even if nobody is injured and the plane lands safely.

How can I convince myself that QF had two serious catastrophic uncontained engine failures in just a few weeks and this is just outside QF's control?
Why the other carriers, using same engines/same ac type, have not experienced the same type of serious uncontained engine failures as per last two QF incidents (for both the A380 and 747)?

Yes, I cannot blame QF of course, but the question I ask here is, if/when a RR design fault will be proven, the following: why this design fault is then affecting just this carrier but not the others?