PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2010, 15:19
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be very easy to support either side of this argument.

Should EK or EY not take advantage of their advantages?
Absolutely! What airline wouldn’t?

Sir King took liberties with Sir Richard. Which didn’t work out so well.
BA and AA aligned themselves to deal with additional services and slots that were of mutual benefit. Leading to additional anger and frustration within the EU airline community.
O’Leary shakes the establishment tree almost daily. (what can I say?)
Yikes, we’ve even got Star Alliance, One World, SkyTeam, and the like, ganging up on their competition. (can it be?)

Beating the system is what it’s all about. It’s nothing personal, its business.
Globalization is a reality. A business reality.
What remains to be seen with regard to globalization though, is whether or not it works? IMHO the airline business is having a hard time with it. Time will tell and in my estimation as long as their remains 'national interests', it won’t completely work or succeed. Look at the EU. I suppose it works but is it a success?

I don’t blame EK for trying. But, why shouldn’t Canada respond in kind?
Politically, I mean. With what's right for our globalization vision. (and it isn't the same as EKs I can assure you)

It should be obvious that I’ve taken sides in this dispute and firmly believe my government has done the sensible thing which unfortunately for EK, just happens NOT to be in their interests nor does it suit their world airline domination vision.

Now if they would only suspend the landing rights and over flights of UAE aircraft for the next 10 months or so, I’d say we would have conveyed our annoyance with a ‘Mouse that Roared’.

oblasspop

I appreciate your 'confession'. Despite all this debate and politico, you'd enjoy Canada in retirement. There's always access through JFK so don't give it up.

I for one have always found the Brits very good at giving Canadians 'sound advice' with regards to the mistakes they've made along the way which has lead to the errosion of a once Great Britain, which it may now only be a great nation. (Not that Canada is any gem either)
Britain is part of our heritage and our lineage. For Canada would do well to avoid repeating the mistakes of our forefathers. Unfortunately, not many over here are paying attention.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 8th Nov 2010 at 15:42.