PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taxation ...and the taxman....
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2010, 14:31
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Whenurhappy
I received the gritted-teeth response of to teh effect of 'we will not proceed with prosecution at this time...'.
I had the same only concerning motor mileage claims. The rules had just changed so that we could get tax relief on the difference between the PTR (and ODR in this case) and the tax allowance. By good fortune I had also just bought a 2.5l car which attracted an allowance of 63p/m and at the same time driven over 2000 miles on Resettlement and business mileage.

I claimed a back of tax relief, which they paid, then audited my returns point out that the Services paid my mileage allowance so how did I have the cheek to claim relief. I replied with 2 barrels of buckshot and thanked them as they had unwittingly revealed a journey that I had omitted to claim. They then sent exactly the same gritted teeth response and refused the extra claim.

Retrospectively what their letter really meant was:

'we know you are guilty of tax evasion but will not proceed with prosecution at this time . . . we are watching you.'

This really besmirches your character and is tantamount false accusation and deformation. You have a right to know 'subject access request' what notes they have placed on your file.