PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 8th Nov 2010, 14:27
bearfoil

iamhives

I speak CEO. "For at least 72 hours". Meaning: "In your dreams". Alternate meaning? "Buy some time, mate". "These are NEW engines". Meaning: "Not (OUR, nor MY) FAULT!!. RR?", placing responsibility prior to proof, etcetera.

Oil where it should not be? This is not something that can be "Inspected away". It means a strip. An engine (NEW) with this problem is on the way to becoming a white elephant, for it means insufficient engineering, design, and or manufacture. No Line wants a hangar Queen(sland). A six month duty cycle for every TRENT 900 between inspection or strip is simply not going to happen.

What happened? Any rotating mass that can "migrate" on the shaft, to damage the bearing or seal, and cause oil fire, is not acceptable. As you state, the missing blades are telling, they suggest "severed" in place, not loss of integrity, nor "blade loss". It is reasonable to think that they were removed as the wheel bunched up against the Stator ring. If the fragment of IPT attached to the piece of stator is any indication, we are looking at the "Genesis" of wheel loss. Pure guess would be: migrating wheel was unplanned, had it been, a thrust bearing of some strength would be included to defeat any hub contact with the shaft bearing or its seal.

I guess the fragment of Turbine at more like 145 degrees, but in any case, the size of it suggests retention of roughly one third of integrity. The larger the piece, the less suspect of failure. It had to go somewhere, without having time to "pack", and the shaft was not going to let go peacefully; wherever the remaining piece(s) lay, it is not far from the site where this piece was found.

bear