PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest research on Automation Dependency - Regulator please note..
Old 8th Nov 2010, 06:36
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago I was tasked to give dual instruction to a student pilot on a Cessna 152. He already had ten hours of dual but had not yet gone solo. His regular instructor was on leave hence I got called in.

We strapped in and I waited for him to begin his pre-start cockpit checks. In an apologetic voice he said he had forgotten to bring along his checklist. I said no worries, just go ahead and start the engine. After all he had flown several trips in the Cessna.

He then said he did not know how to start the engine without a checklist to guide him. He was so embarrassed and I felt sorry for him while mentally gritting my teeth that his instructor had taught him to rely solely on a checklist as a Good Thing. In the event we finally got airborne. After the session was finished and after the student had taxiied in I suggested he should park the brakes and shut down the engine. Embarrassed silence after which he said he was sorry but he did not know how to shut down the engine in the Cessna 152 without reference to checklist guidance.

At a different level, this is what is happening in some parts of the airline industry where new (and not so new) pilots have lost the confidence that would enable them to fly safely without the crutch of the autopilot and it's associated goodies