PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 20th Aug 2002, 14:13
teropa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RussLightYear,

I have flown real Cessnas and Pipers from the right seat at least the minimum of 45 hours (to get PPL). I also have at least 20-30 landings in them. In addition I have "non-handling" time in the light GA aircraft ~ 500 hours. I have never counted to be exact. I also "piloted" a MD11 levelD sim without a prob. Not all of us "iknowitalls" are stupid and incompetent. I don't have a problem with real life aviation, nor do I claim to be a pilot as I don't have the darn paper (YET!).

I have no trouble understanding the things you mention, not at all. I guess you really get a lot of that "I knowitall" type. You should be happy.. they bring bread to your table.

There's one thing that I don't understand here: Why such an attitude? Why such a pride? It's as if I'm "robbing" some of your hero-status away by making these "speculations" that are JUST what they are: speculations. Let me tell you something: professional pilots (do you consider yourself one ?) fly to make a living, and I'd like to hope that the majority of them are enthusiastic about their work. I sure would be! I also know that PAX are counting on them to do their work, that's all. The days of boasting with a pilot's license are over, and I really don't understand why you all drift off topic here all the time, just to elevate yourselves above layman. If nothing else, then just to call flightsimmers stupid and a "below average" group of aviation enthusiasts. Makes me angry, plain and simple.

Read the posts that I have made, read the posts others have written and contribute if you like, but don't elevate yourself to a level which supposedly is out of reach of many of us enthusiastic simmers already. I for one intend to act on my future plans, and for the time being I'm just getting what I have.

For you I'd like to say that lose that attitude, I bet you also have had the kind of students who get bored during the ten last mandatory hours. I _know_ that you are never "finished" with the learning, but have you EVER asked those people if they have simming background ? Believe me, there IS another side to this story also!

The posts made here at PPrune often make me wonder if there are a lot of arrogant pilots around, flying the bigger iron and such. It would be disturbing to team up with such individuals, even in a light GA aircraft. I guess you pilots see flightsimmers as a some kind of "rotten apple", which I don't understand at all, but there really should be some self-inspection among you (who think that way) as well.

I'd like to add one more thing here. That ^^^ wasn't all directed to you RussLightYear. It's meant for those who just ignore everything that the non-professional aviators have learnt or will learn. Also, some of the replies in this thread are very educating and VERY adult. Something to learn from and entertaining to read. I sincerely thank those who have contributed something on-topic here... it's valuable and appreciated!

cheers,
Tero

Last edited by teropa; 20th Aug 2002 at 14:21.