PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - strangest freight
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2010, 18:24
Four Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever seen an Aeroflot stewardess cry?

I was at Accra refuelling aircraft impressed into the UN Congo airlift in July 1960. Two brand new IL18s arrived as the Soviet contribution. They had been on Moscow - Prague service but had been ordered straight on to Accra, so still had cabin crew on board.
As pure passenger a/c they weren't much use for heavily equipped troops (USAF C130s did almost all the lift), so they were loaded with cwt (112 lbs in old money) sacks of flour, one on each seat. Flour everywhere. The Aeroflot girls were intensely proud of their new aircraft (they hadn't seen a Britannia till they got to Accra!), and yes, I saw the two stewardesses on the first a/c weeping at the top of the steps as bag after bag of flour was carried past them.
Incidentally, the Soviet Embassy paid for their fuel in gold roubles, causing me to mention this to the appropriate person in UK High Commission - what would the Soviets be doing with a ready supply of gold roubles in Ghana?
If anybody's interested I've got a few other reminiscences of the airlift, and a few photos of the a/c.