PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 7th Nov 2010, 13:14
JenCluse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On gliders, & optional donks

Dear Lemain, (post 479, 101106 2000 ?TC)

Quote: “With powerful power plants and aircraft that don't glide well”

As an old banger-driver, as well as a new Porshe-cockpit driver, and also a glider instructor (ret), please understand that the glide ratio of your average late model very-efficient RPT device, what-ever it's size, is far better (i.e. they have a higher L/D ratio) that most of the gliders that populated the skies for the last 80 years or so, while enabling the training of innumerable pilots by them flying innumerable miles.

As I have said to innumerable zero-aeronatics-aware-but-media-scared SLFs in the past, *every* aircraft ever built is a glider. Some of them are excellent & highly efficient gliders, and a few of them are actually self launching gliders. There are a few large self launchers. Some are very large - gliders, like the A-380.

At top of descent every RPT A/c is a glider for the next 20-25 mins or so, and the engines are only spooled/spun up (increase(s) power) so the crew can quickly abort the landing if necessary. To increase power and yet go down you need to increase drag, but that is for lesson #2.

Thus endeth the TIF* briefing.

Could all non-professional aviators please leave by the rear door, and proceed to the sound-proof room with the glass wall, where they can read all they like, and maybe learn a little.

Thank you.

*Trial Introductory Flight

Oh: and would all retired-professional aviators (like me) please proceed to the back rows and shut up in future?

Thank you.

(I’ll try )

p.s Sorry Lemain. I needed a trigger comment to get this concept out there. Yes. most piston A/c glide like bricks (think 1:5), just like a glider with the spoilers out & up. Take the (dead) prop off and they’d be not bad gliders, sometimes.