PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 20th Aug 2002, 13:18
RussLightyear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

teropa,

I've been Flying Instructing on light aircraft for over two years now. About once a month a 'know it all arm chair anorack' turns up to fly a Trial Lesson. To be quite frank, you lot are the worst to instruct. You think you know how to fly already, so when you meander a Cessna all over the sky refusing to listen, the net result after stuffing the aircraft into the runway for 500 circuits is a 100 hour PPL. (The min. hours for the PPL is 45 hours).

You seem to have forgotten about the factors that you don't experience sat in front of your PC. (I.E. ngine Failure, Radio Failure, Electrical/Systems Failure, Deteriorating WX below Minimums, R/T & ATC compliance etc.... I am just refering to Light GA Aircraft. The same considerations arise on Heavy Jets carrying hundreds of PAX, but obviously at a greater scale.

I have a CPL/IR and 1500 hours including 100 multi engine flying hours. I would not have the audacity to tell anyone I could land a Heavy Jet unless I had undertaken a Type Rating.